List of Reviews

Search!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thor: The Dark World SPOILER-FREE Review

Thor: the God of–wait, never mind they're not gods. They live life just like humans, give or take 5,000 years. I'm Linus Schill, and this is my SPOILER-FREE review of Thor: The Dark World

I remember when the titles for the upcoming Marvel movies were announced, and I heard, "Iron Man 3", "Thor: The Dark World", and "Captain America: Winter Soldier", I thought, ok another numerical Iron Man movie. The name "The Dark World" excited me because I knew that that meant we would be seeing more action in space. I wasn't that much a fan of the first Thor movie but when I watched it a couple months ago in anticipation for the upcoming sequel I liked it a whole bunch more, so my excitement for the next movie grew. The first Thor, while really good, had some things that should have been different. Asgard felt extremely CG, with the one fly over, and then cut right inside. We also did not see a lot of epic fighting in general in the first movie, because for nearly the entire movie he was living on earth. You had the first battle on Jodenheim, and the last with the Destroyer, but that was it. Now enough on the previous movie, onto my review of the second.
Following up with what I was talking about Thor, Thor: The Dark World did a lot better job at making you feel like these places were real. You would get the fly-over but then the camera would lower into a real place, that was all fake. Asgard also felt more like a real place with buildings that are physically there, and things that can be destroyed, as apposed to heaven, where everything is happy and shinny and golden. One of the things that helped make Asgard feel more real was the attack on Asgard. You flew around with the ships, seeing the entire city and all of its features. We also got a fell of what the defenses were, with the laser guns, and the small flying pods. 
Another thing that I think Thor: The Dark World improved on was seeing the 9 realms. Not just during the insanely epic inter-dimensional portal battle at the end of the film, but actually venturing there and seeing the lands. At the beginning of the movie when Thor, the Warriors Three, and Lady Sif were battling on Vanaheim, and you saw the scenery and the culture of this world. Also after Thor, Jane, and Loki's escape, when they journeyed to Svartalfheim, home of the Dark Elves. 
!!!!!SPOILER'S ARE COVERED!!!!!MOUSE OVER TO REVEAL!!!!! On the topic of Svartalfheim, how insane was that entire scene? Just when you thought you had predicted what might happen, Loki betrays Thor, lets say you were expecting that, well guess what, you were wrong too! It was an emotional roller coaster, shock when Loki pulled the dagger, sadness when he was stabbed, disappointment at Loki’s betrayal, disbelief at Thor’s hand being cut off, confusion at what just happened and that his hand is now back, and overall happiness at how bad ass their plan really was. Then they started to kick some ass, especially Loki, but when Loki sacrificed himself to kill the Cursed I couldn’t believe it. But at the same time I did. It felt so real, and tangible. I have seen this movie 3 time already, and the first time I didn’t notice Loki becoming that guard, so I really did think he was dead the whole time, while still holding onto that glimmer of hope that he might not be. And in the final scene of the movie when Odin turns into Loki I was left with my jaw wide open. Now, because I had missed the turning into the soldier, my first reaction was, “the guard never said who’s body”. So I assumed, Loki had killed Odin, and taken his place at the thrown. The second time I saw it I understood, no, Loki became that guard, but then that still leaves Odin. What happened to him? He would not kill him, thats not like Loki. Despite his apparent hatred for him, when Freeta died, he was torn apart and went insane. I believe that Loki made Odin look like another prisoner, and put him in a cage. It is already evident that Loki can do that because he made Thor look like Lady Sif. But I guess we will have to find out in the upcoming films.
The action sequence at the end was fantastic. At first it was a little confusing, but once you got around to the fact that the characters were confused too, and that the universe was going insane, and that physics was going ballistic, it was awesome. It was also extremely funny to see Mjölnir trying to get back to Thor, but struggling with the help of the portals. I loved those little moments when Thor was just trying to do his own thing on Earth, and it looked hilarious, hanging up his hammer, riding in a car, and taking the subway. 
Overall the movie was great. I give it 9 ingredients. Thank you for reading my review of Thor: The Dark World. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook at Facebook.com/BLTFilmsReviews, or down below. Be sure to stay tuned for more upcoming reviews. There was a bit of arrested development after Pixar Week, but more reviews will be coming soon, as well as something new...See you next time!
Linus Schill–––––––14
BLT Films Rating- 9 Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this!