List of Reviews

Search!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Doctor Who Season 7 Part 2 Review

With the second part of the 7th season Doctor Who 3 episodes in, I figured I should begin reviewing them, and other TV shows too. When the 4th season of Arrested Development is released on Netflix this May I will be reviewing them as well.
I have been watching Doctor Who since 2006, and it has changed a lot. When Matt Smith came everything began to change. Different writers, different head of the show, everything was different. Eventually, as the seasons went by, I stopped liking it, or at least my love for it died down. There were a lot things you could say that made all of the episodes seem very similar, and they were in many senses. Season 7 has been different, or at least part 2. We had been with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan since the first episode of season 5. Now that she is gone, and it was very sad, the show seems to be a little different again. Let me go through and briefly review each of the episodes from season 7 part 2, starting with the Christmas Special.
It took me a while to watch the Christmas Special, in fact, the only reason I went back to watch it was because I knew the new episodes were coming out. I saw trailers for it, and I thought it looked kind of dumb. It was ok, it was not my favorite episode but it was good for setting up the mystery behind Clara. The TARDIS in the cloud was very cool, and it posed for a great fairy tale story for the children "a man who lives on a cloud". The fact that the staircase was smaller on the inside was funny, and also how Clara said "its smaller on the outside". I liked how Clara's one word was "pond", that was very clever. It was fun but the plot was kind of, eh. Overall I would have to give this episode 3 ingredients.
(Christmas Special) BLT Films Rating- 3/5 Ingredients
The Bells of Saint John was an cool episode, it continued the mystery behind Clara and her many versions though out time. It also had a nice modern day setting to the plot. It was a interesting idea that there is something "in the Wi-Fi" and people's souls, or consciousness were being uploaded to the internet. I loved the motorcycle riding on the side of the Shard. It was a good episode, it kicked off the season with Clara and set up her leaving with the Doctor. Overall I give it 4 ingredients.
(Bells of Saint Josh) BLT Films Rating- 4/5 Ingredients
The Rings of Akhaten was another cool episode. The visuals were great, seeing the Doctor and Clara standing on the asteroid as it orbits that sun. However, I did have some problems with the episode. First of all, the TARDIS wasn't translating all of the alien's languages. As shown in previous seasons, the TARDIS will translate every language in all of the Universe, however you couldn't understand the creatures speaking. If you have any explanations I'd love to hear them in the comments below. I really am curious about why this happened. The little girl was great and very adorable. I also give this episode 4 ingredients.
(Rings of Akhaten) BLT Films Rating- 4/5 Ingredients
When I saw the preview for The Cold War I couldn't help but get excited. I like when the Doctor visits key things in history, it always makes you think about what would have happened if it weren't for the Doctor and his companion. Now, I did doubt this episode because we have seen many like this in the past. I can't even count how many times we have seen the Doctor and Companion, trapped in some enclosed space, with a group of people that get picked off one by one. It gets very exhausting just watching the episodes over and over again. However, this episode was a little different. They knew the threat for a major part of the episode. It was very scary when Clara knocked the helmet off the armor and the Ice Warrior was not there, it was someone predictable though. Its hard to say what made this episode feel different then the other ones like this, but it did. I liked the pun they made on the name of the episode. "The Cold War", yes the time in history where the Soviet Union and the United States were at each other's throats. Also, "The Cold War" as in the war against the Cold, as in the Ice Warrior. The Ice Warrior, The Ice War, The Cold War. I do not know if this was intentional or coincidental, but its funny none the less. Back to the topic from before of the TARDIS and its translating ability. This is where the translating gets confusing. The Doctor tells Clara that the TARDIS translate the Russian into English, but there is one problem, wheres the TARDIS? Oh yeah, in the South Pole. So, when the TARDIS is there on an alien planet with the Doctor and the Companion, it doesn't translate, but when the TARDIS is on the other side of the planet it does? Its confusing but easy to ignore. I give this episode to 4 ingredients, it wasn't perfect, but it was good. Thank you for reading my review of the second part of Season 7 of Doctor Who, expect them every week following the release of the new episodes. Until next time!
(Cold War) BLT Films Rating- 4/5 Ingredients
Linus Schill–––––––13

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this!