List of Reviews

Search!

Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Wolverine EXTENDED CUT Review

The Wolverine. The hit movie that doesn't show you the Wolverine at all, but instead shows him being a bum in the mountains, attacking people because they didn't kill a bear ethically. I'm Linus Schill, and this is my review of the EXTENDED CUT of The Wolverine

When this movie came out back in July, and I wrote my first review for the film, one of the things that I noted was that Wolverine did not do that much fighting, and was a wimp in a lot of the parts. If you would like to read that review, click here. This review will talk solely of the additions in the final cut, and what the added to the movie. I didn't know that this version would be released, until I saw that it was available on iTunes, so I thought, "Hey, I wonder if they will give us that epic ninja battle that was in those trailers, that they cut from the movie?". Well it did, and more.
When I first began watching I was nervous whether I would remember the differences to the original film. When I compared the run times of the two, there is approximately 13 minutes more footage, so I hoped it would be obvious. When I did my review of World War Z: Un-Rated, I had already seen the film twice in theaters, and it was closer to when I had seen it, so it made it all the more easier. Also because nearly every scene had blood squirts digitally added in. In this movie, there were 3 notable differences to the original, getting longer with each one. The first was very subtle and I almost missed it. When Logan is on the plane heading to Japan with Yukio, he encounters a flash back to when he was in the well with Master Yashida. The two exchange a conversation about Logan's ability. Logan states despite the healing, he feels pain. Logan complains about how many "f*ing wars" there have been that he has gone through.
Another new scene was one that I was surprised when it happened because in the theatrical release the shortened scene was very different, and not has interesting. When Logan was staying the night at the hotel with Mariko, he stands watch out on the balcony as she sleeps. In the original cut, Logan collapses, presumably from multiple bullet wounds, and lack of healing. In the extended cut, Logan is attacked on the balcony, and thrown over the edge. He is threatened at gun point, and then tased. Mariko suddenly throws knives at the men, saving Logan's life. This scene made the flow of the story make more sense, because having Logan just collapse, and then make up in a hospital bed doesn't resemble Logan's personality at all. Yes he is weakened, but he doesn't just collapse out of the blue, when he showed no sign of wooziness prior, next to the gun wounds themselves. 
The final addition in the extended version was, of course, the long awaited ninja battle. In all honesty I have NO IDEA why this scene was cut from the movie. It was well paced, it fit perfectly in, it was epic, it was fun. When Logan first began in the hand to hand, er, sword to claws, combat, and Shingen struck him on the face, and it healed, and Shingen's reaction went from confident to, "Oh my god, we are all f*cked". And then begins an amazing fight when Wolverine is striking ninjas that are jumping out of buildings, jumping off motorcycles, jumping off motorcycles jumping off of buildings. This we all expected from the trailers, but something I did not expect, but was still really cool, was how Yukio bursted into the scene in a snow plow, literally plowing down ninjas as she drove through, chopping them up in the blades. After Wolverine gets her to run, he blows up the plow giving him a glimmer of hope. However, he is overtaken by the combination of hundred's of arrows to the back with ropes, and the poisonous one supplied by Viper.
Overall the additions were great. I believe wholeheartedly that they should have made the final cut, because nothing was unnecessary, and the movie was even better with them added. If you have seen the Wolverine and are curious to see the epic battles added, be sure to pick it up on iTunes here: http://tinyurl.com/wolverineur. Thank you for reading my review of Wolverine: The Extended Cut. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook down below, or visit our page at Facebook.com/BLTFilmsReviews. See you next time!
Linus Schill–––––––14
BLT Films Rating- 9 Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this!