List of Reviews

Search!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug SPOILER-FREE Review

Coming soon: the 3 hour long second part, of a trilogy based on a 300 page book, in attempt to mirror the previous LOTR trilogy which was based on 3 books, each 400 pages. I'm Linus Schill, and this is my review of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

When I found out that a Hobbit film was being made a year and a half ago, I decided to read the book. I knew it was the same universe as a fantastic trilogy, the Lord of the Rings, so I couldn't resist. Then the news broke that it would be three films and it just didn't make sense. How can a book this short become total around 9 hours of film. Then the The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey came out and I loved it. Some people argued that it was too boring, or that it took too long to leave Bilbo's house. I do agree that the pacing varied at parts, but overall I enjoyed the film, and I couldn't wait for the next one...well...two. As more and more began to show for this movie, from snippets of Smaug, to the pictures, and posters, and trailers, I couldn't have been more excited. Then the film came out.
I was more than happy with how this movie turned out, it was fantastic. Everything that I wanted to see in this movie was delivered, and more. When the film opened, we jumped right into the action with Beorn. I was curious to what they would show of him, because I thought he was such a cool character in the book, and there wasn't much said of him in the production of the film, and from the posters. There wasn't an exceptional amount shown of Beorn, but it was nice to see him in there (this includes the gigantic bear). Mirkwood was also great, and super creepy, which was expected because even on the printed page it was scary. I loved all the strange things that happened to the dwarves and Bilbo. The wood elves were extremely well done. It was great to see some familiar faces like Legolas (and someone else?), and some new ones like Tauriel. Laketown was great because we also didn't get to see much of it except for one shot in the trailers, and Steven Fry as the Master of Laketon was great. 
Now lets talk Smaug. From the little we saw of him from the first movie and the previews, no one really knew what Smaug looked like that wasn't directly involved in the film. Well that is, until that amazing scene in this movie where Bilbo awakens the beast. I won't give too much about the confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug, but I will say this: it was amazing. Everything about Erebor was beautiful and fun (even scary at some parts). The film has an amazing cliff-hanger that I won't spoil, but if you haven't seen this movie you must. 
Overall the film was amazing, and I give it 10 ingredients. Once again, if you haven't seen this movie I advise doing so strongly. I haven't seen the film in 3D yet, but I am going to soon, and I will post my review of the 3D below this. Thank you for reading my review of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook down below, or visit us at Facebook.com/BLTFilmsReviews. See you next time!
Linus Schill–––––––14
BLT Films Rating- 10 Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this!