List of Reviews

Search!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

BLT Buffet: First Course

Hello and welcome to BLT Buffet: First Course. A whole new feature coming to BLT Films Reviews. I'm Linus Schill, and this is my review of the latest and greatest news from the world of entertainment.

Now to start it off, I'm going to discuss the recent Dawn of the Planet of the Apes trailer that dropped this morning. Let me start off by saying that I loved the first film. I am a big fan of the franchise, own the box set on Blu-Ray, and couldn't wait to see this "prequel" type film. It was fantastic, intact, I saw it on my birthday and while I was watching the film an earthquake hit my city. Didn't feel a thing. Anyway, I was dying for a sequel. The first film was set up perfectly for a sequel, and when the first teaser image was shown at comic con, it really felt tangible that a sequel was actually coming. Then other trailers for 2014 summer movies started springing up and I began to wonder when this one would. And after it finally did, I was ecstatic. The tone of this movie looks great, showing the struggle of humanity, fighting the virus, and then fighting each other, to quote Gary Oldman. Everything was looking pretty desolate in the trailer, and then it showed Caesar. Man did this look like a MAD ape. The shot of the camera pulling out with his hand ready to strike was awesome. Also, the visuals look incredible! If you think the apes looked good in the first movie, then you have to check out this teaser trailer. I was a little disappointed that it was only a teaser. The other summer movies were able to get full-length trailers. However, to be fair, this movie does come out a few months after the other films. If you haven't seen this trailer, check it out here. It is amazing. 


Onto our second topic, another 2014 sequel trailer that I have been looking forward to as well: The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I loved the first Amazing Spider-Man film. I think it was better in many ways from the Sam Raimi first  Spider-Man. However, after seeing The Amazing Spider-Man everyone wondered if the sequel would be better than the second of the Rami trilogy, which is agreed to be the best of the three. When set pictures arose of the Rhino and the comic con teaser of electro everyone started worrying that it may have Spider-Man 3 syndrome with too many villains. Now I do not believe that the problem with Spider-Man 3 was that it was crowded, I believe the problem was the terrible script and the terrible Venom. Movies have more then 3 antagonists all the time, but when a movie does it poorly, you cannot blame the apparent excess of villains. When the first trailer was released everyone was surprised that Harry Osborn would be playing the Green Goblin in this film too, myself included. However, I do not think this is bad for the movie. Just going from the trailer, it looks like Oscorp is assembling the Sinister Six, which if you do not know is essentially the evil Avengers. If you look carefully, and pause at the right moments, you can see the Doctor Octopus suit, Vulture wings, and a Venom folder on Harry Osborn’s computer. The visuals are great, the action looks intense, and this trailer gets my extremely excited for this movie, even more than I already was. The movie comes out May 2nd next year, and I suggest you check out the trailer which is all over the internet, and can be found by clicking here. 


When I heard that a Man of Steel sequel would be coming I was extremely happy, however I was not happy to hear that Batman would be there. Honestly, I am completely fine with Batman being rebooted this soon, I just would have preferred to have a Man of Steel sequel, with just Superman. I loved Man of Steel, and I would love to see him facing off with Lex Luthor, or another villain, but throwing Batman into just the second appearance of Superman in this universe and they are jumping the shark by doing this. Then I heard that Gal Gadot was going to appear in the movie was Wonder Woman. I was extremely upset, but not from the same reasons that most people were. Personally I think the casting is fine. However, I have not seen her act so I do not have a very valid opinion when it comes to the casting decision. She is not as physically ready as a Wonder Woman actress should be, but with training and proper preparation I believe she will do just fine. But like I stated previously, having Wonder Woman in this movie is not a good idea. Now I mentioned this when talking about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer, but its worth saying again. My problem with this news is not that there are too many main characters because look at any movie, there are plenty of main characters. I just hate that in the Man of Steel sequel you not only are throwing in Batman, but also Wonder Woman. Now I would be fine if it was just Wonder Woman and Superman in a movie together. The characters  because the characters are similar to a certain extent, and a female superhero needs a boost because movies with female leads do not happen very often, which is unfortunate. So altogether this is not good news for me. I don’t want Batman in my Man of Steel sequel, and I definitely don’t want Batman and Wonder Woman. 

I have always thought that Ant Man and Wasp were very strange characters to be on a superhero team like the Avengers. Wasp at least has the ability to grow larger than a human, but what is the use of being tiny, and talking to ants? However, the two are key members of the Avengers, so when Marvel announced that an Ant Man movie was coming, it came as no shock.  What did confuse me however, was that Ant Man wasn’t before the Avengers: Age of Ultron, because Hank Pymm creates Ultron. Once it became clear that Tony Stark would be the creator, another question arose: who would play ant man? It was then rumored that Marvel had come down to two actors for the role: JGL (Joseph Gordon Levitt) and Paul Rudd. I personally at the time liked the idea of Paul Rudd as Ant Man. JGL seemed a little too young to be an esteemed scientist that creates a technology allowing him to shrink to the size of an ant. Also, I think Paul Rudd fit better as the role. The way I imagine what actor could join the team, is imagining that actor standing next to the 6 already on the team. Maybe not the best way for picking the best actor for the role, but it led me to like Paul Rudd over JGL. Recently Marvel made it official that Paul Rudd would take up the role, and I was more than happy. There are certain things about the production of movies that make me get very excited. Its one thing to hear that an Ant Man movie is coming, but another thing to hear the actors in the movie, or see the first test footage, or set pictures. All of which we have from Ant Man. I hope that we see a cameo from Paul Rudd in the Avengers sequel, however if we don’t I will be fine because there is a less than a month gap between Age of Ultron and Ant Man.

Thank you for reading the very first BLT Buffet. There will be another coming out very soon, to discuss the upcoming movies of 2014. Be sure to “Like” us on Facebook down below or at Facebook.com/BLTFilmsReviews. See you next time!

Linus Schill–––––––14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this!