List of Reviews

Search!

Friday, January 17, 2014

BLT Buffet: 2014 Movies


Hello and welcome to BLT Buffet: 2014. A great new feature at BLT Films Reviews. I'm Linus Schill, and this is my review of the latest and greatest news from the world of entertainment.
Over a year ago now, I talked about the upcoming movies in 2013. Looking back on it can be amusing because of how little I knew about films that are now in my past. Now that BLT Buffet is up and running, and so is the new year, I decided to dedicate this installment to the upcoming films of 2014. However, first I would like to talk about how far this blog as come. A year ago, the blog had a mere 705 views. Now, we’ve gotten more than that amount every month since October. The blog recently passed 8800 views which is just fantastic. I never thought that I would keep it going this far, and I would never expect it to get this much attention. In the past year, I have also been gradually implementing a Movie Release Schedule into the website. It started off as movies I am excited for, but now serves as an easy way to view a vast number for movies coming out in the coming years. A small version of the list can be seen on the sidebar, or a full version under the page “Movie Release Schedule”. I can tell you this, just looking at this list, I know this year will be a great one for film. So cheers to 2013, and may this coming year be even more spectacular.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4/4/14)
When Marvel announced the titles of their upcoming films last SDCC, I immediately took to Google to see the backstories behind “Thor: The Dark World” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”. After reading into who the title bad guy was I didn’t really understand. Now incase you aren’t interested in knowing, I won’t spoiler who it is, but eventually I grew on it. Then the first trailer hit, and the sneak peak following Thor: The Dark World, I became more and more excited. From the looks of it this movie will be another great installment of the First Avenger. However, one thing that is pulling me back from this movie is time period it is taking place. 
One of my favorite things about the original film was that it was set during World War II. I loved the Indiana Jones-esque sneaking in to defeat the bad-guy Nazis. One thing I hope the film gets past is the whole concept of Steve Rodgers being in a different time. They ended Cap 1 with him appearing in 2011, and throughout The Avengers Tony Stark made jokes about Steve Rodgers being “old”, and outdated. I think then now it is time to move on from that, and see that good-old ass kicking I loved from the first. And yet, The trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier have me extremely excited.
Washington D.C. is a fantastic place to be. When ever I get the chance to I head down there to see the sights over and over. This is another reason why I am so excited to see this film. It will be nice to see a superhero movie out side of New York, which occurs so frequently. Numerous scenes in the first film took place in NYC, almost all of The Avengers took place there. It will just be nice to get a change of scenery. 
The characters in Cap 2 also get my extremely excited. From some of the animated shows to a few of the comics that I’ve seen, Falcon is an extremely cool character I never thought would be brought to the big screen. Going just from the comics, his powers comprise being able to see through the eyes of birds near him, communicating with his companion falcon, Redwing, and of course, flying. Then the news broke that Anthony Mackie would be portraying him in the film, and I was confused. Yet as I thought more into it, the more I understood how his character could not just work, but be pretty bad ass. Working as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, mastering the use of gliders. Chances are that he won’t have telepathic abilities with nearby birds but looking at the trailers, I still think he will be very cool. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is coming to theaters on April 4th, 2014. 
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (5/2/14)
The Amazing Spider-Man was a film that was liked by some, and strongly disliked by others. I, for one, loved the film. I thought it was better than the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film, (and obviously the third). However, not as good as the second, which leaves me wondering will The Amazing Spider-Man 2 top Spider-Man 2. Unfortunately for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it is getting a lot of comparisons to the last Spider-Man film we saw with many villains, Spider-Man 3. I said this last Buffet, but I strongly believe that movies can have more than just one big bad-guy. Now obviously it has to be done right, and in Spider-Man 3’s case it was not. There were also tons of other terrible things about that movie including emo Peter Parker, but I’m sidetracking. Now my opinions are solely based on the trailers and posters, but from the looks of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 all the villains, including the Green Goblin, are tied up with Oscorp. This to me means that the film will have a cohesive story line, that doesn’t try and have 3 separate origin stories in one film that don’t link at all with each other. I am extremely excited for this film, if you haven’t seen the trailer check it out right here. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out on May 2nd, 2014.
X-Men: Days of Future Past (5/23/14)
When X-Men: First Class came out in 2011 I loved it, and enjoying getting a good X-Men movie again after the poor X-Men: Last Stand and the terrible attempt at launching a new origin series X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I thought it was great to see the younger versions of classic mutants, and also a look at brand new characters in the film franchise. After I saw it I was dying for sequel, but never imagined I would get on like this. 
I hadn't heard of the "Days of Future Past" story line but after a few google searches
I understood how great X-Men: Days of Future Past (DOFP) could be. Seeing my favorite X-Men characters in all their greatness, oldness, and youngness all in the same film, it was more than anything I could dream of. And after the first posters came out I was more than sold. 
One thing that I noticed, and I know a lot of other people noticed, was that when X-Men: First Class came out, was that James McAvoy (Professor Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) didn’t really look like Patrick Steward and Sir Ian McKellen. But when these posters were released, they made you believe that they actually did look similar, and James McAvoy could possible be a younger version of Patrick Steward. And I think this was necessary because when the film finally does come out and you see them, the movie has to sell you that one is the younger version of the other. Or when the trailer finally comes out…
This trailer is one of my favorite that have come out for 2014 movies. It gets me extremely excited and wanting to see more, which is exactly what I want from a trailer. If you haven’t seen the trailer I suggest you check it out here. X-Men: Days of Future Past comes to theaters May 23rd, 2014.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (5/23/14)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is the newest installment of the “rebooted” franchise. Now I’m not going to talk too much about the first one because I mentioned all of that in the first BLT Buffet. We don’t know much about what will happen in this film, because the trailer we have seen was only a teaser. It will take place 8 years after the first film, and will show the war between the two species. From set pictures to actually stills of the film, it is apparent that the apes have a village/hideout where even Caesar has a family. It is unfortunate that James Franco is not returning, but I know Gary Oldman will be great. It is hard to say where the film will take us by the end, how far in The Planet of the Apes mythology will it go. If they want to stay mostly true to the original film, they will have to find some explanation why there are primitive humans everywhere, and why they did not die at the hands of the “Simian Flu”. From the trailers the visual effects look incredible, a large improvement from what was already fantastic effects in the first film. There is an amazing and interesting official website for the film that gives you a look at how each species is surviving, and where they are living. You can visit it here. It really makes you feel the gravity of how much humanity has fallen, and how much the apes have evolved. The film also comes to theaters on May 23rd, 2014. 

Guardians of the Galaxy (8/1/14)
Guardians of the Galaxy, to me, was a completely unknown portion of the comics to me. When Marvel announced its future films, I had to google just to find out who they were. The characters seemed strange and crazy, and a completely different kind of thing we are used to seeing in a Marvel Studios film. Not much is known about the film except the cast list, and a few set pictures released, a leaked Comic-Con trailer, and the one official picture released that is shown above. Because it is a Marvel film and everything they have made so far I have loved, I will definitely go and see it. The film comes out August 1st, 2014. 

The Hobbit: There and Back Again (12/17/14)
The Hobbit: There and Back Again, is a movie even more mysterious then Guardians of the Galaxy. The only thing that can be said for sure of the film, is that it will take place directly proceeding the events of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It will likely include the killing of Smaug, and the Battle of the Five Armies. Now it is hard to say anything more because, as displayed in the past 2 films, Peter Jackson seems to be adapting it to the films a little more than usual. Whole scenes from the book have been changed and replaced with something huge. I for one do not mind this at all. Yes the book is short, but why should the length of the book limit the extend of the movies? When you make a movie based on a book, you are adapting it to a separate medium. Not just filming word for word what the book says. I like the first film a lot, and loved the second, which is an uphill trend. I can’t wait for the next installment of this brilliant trilogy, which comes out December 17th, 2014.

Thank you for reading my discussion of the upcoming films of 2014. Look forward to another BLT Buffet discussing the nominations for the 2014 Academy Awards. Be sure to like us on Facebook down below, or visit our page at Facebook.com/BLTFilmsReviews. I’m Linus Schill, see you next time. 

Linus Schill–––––––14